Browsers for Windows 2000
Guv Bob
2014-06-07 15:52:50 UTC
Some good info for us few Win2000 diehards who need a more secure, up to date browser than IE & Firefox. Chrome does not work on my Win2000 system.

http://usefulwindows.com/2009/09/the-best-internet-browser-for-windows-2000/

"It is a good thing that Opera and QubZilla have paid attention to the fact that Windows 2000 is still being used to this day.

"Opera 12.o2, being that this is the only major browser that still supports Windows 2000 it already is far ahead but it also supports major internet standards and supports plug-ins. Opera in a way is like Netscape in that is supports other functions like e-mail and torrents. I also like its Tab Preview which just gives it a nice touch. You can get it at www.opera.com.

"2. QupZilla 1.3.5 is not very well-known but is a big help in Windows 2000. It is a Webkit based browser like Google Chrome, or Apple Safari and it is still being developed and updated. This means it will get security updates and new features as time goes on. QupZilla is pretty good at being compliment with web standards and it also has a tab preview which I just find to be a great feature, especially when you have multiple tabs open. You can check it out at www.qupzilla.com.

Other browsers that work but not up to date or are for specialty applications:

"3. Firefox 12 is the last version of Firefox that works in Windows 2000.....

"4. FlashPeak SlimBrowser 6.01 Build 076 is a great option is you have websites that only work in Internet Explorer.....

"5. Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 (6.0.2800.1106) Microsoft does not support this and does not have the modern security that Opera and QupZilla have. Also is does not display some pages properly and is slower than the others.

"6. Amaya 11.4.4 is not a browser for every day use. This is made by the World Wide Web Consortium or the W3C, who decides what is and is not HTML.
Guv Bob

Java Jive
2014-08-17 13:07:47 UTC
Opera 11.64 was the last version to run on W2k, I think some version
of 12 was the last to work on XP. AIUI, more recent versions are
Apple Web-Kit based.