Print spooler crashes at startup
s***@hotmail.com
2008-10-08 20:37:43 UTC

I was printing something from a program called Guitar Pro and the
program crashed in the middle of the job.

After that I could not print at all so I rebooted.

Now every time I reboot the print spooler crashes during start up so I
can't even see the printer to try and delete the job and I can't add a
new printer because it tells me the print spooler service is not
running.

It seems like that corrupt job is stuck in the queue somehow but I
can't even see the printer to delete it.

Would appreciate any suggestions on how to fix this.

Thanks in advance,
Steve
John
2008-11-09 14:59:38 UTC
Post by s***@hotmail.com
Hi,
I was printing something from a program called Guitar Pro and the
program crashed in the middle of the job.
After that I could not print at all so I rebooted.
Now every time I reboot the print spooler crashes during start up so I
can't even see the printer to try and delete the job and I can't add a
new printer because it tells me the print spooler service is not
running.
It seems like that corrupt job is stuck in the queue somehow but I
can't even see the printer to delete it.
Would appreciate any suggestions on how to fix this.
Thanks in advance,
Steve
Save this as a batch file (something like fixpr.bat in the root of your
boot drive) and then command fixpr at a run prompt:

@echo off
echo.
echo Purging the print queue . . .
net stop Spooler
echo Deleting all print jobs . . .
ping localhost -n 4 > nul
del /q %SystemRoot%\system32\spool\printers\*.*
net start Spooler
echo Done!
ping localhost -n 4 > nul

ps: you be must logged into a user account with administrator privileges.

John