Buffalo 3T Ext Drive
Guv Bob
2014-07-29 06:16:42 UTC
Buffalo 3T Ext Drive
Model HD-LC3.0U3
http://www.buffalotech.com/
(866) 752-6210

I bought one of these today. Practically no documentation. Manual is (1) set it on the desk, (2) plug in the USB cable, (3) plug in the power. That's all.

I have Win2000 and the guy at the store said this one will work. The drive shows up in Device Manager, but no new drive letter in Windows Explorer.

Any ideas if this drive really will work with Win2000?

Thanks.
Java Jive
2014-07-29 12:15:10 UTC
Problems with USB drives become more hit and miss the further back in
Windows OSs you go, and before around 2k/XP the sort of symptoms you
describe could definitely occur - I had to return one that didn't
seem to be picked up by W2k.

However, make sure the simple things are done first:

1) I presume it actually does have a disk in it? Or is that
something you didn't realise that you have to buy extra?

2) Has the disk been formatted? <Rt-Click> My Computer and
choose Manage. What do you see in Disk Management? If the disk is
there, can you see a partition on it? If no, create an NTFS partition
and format it (note: of course this will erase any previous contents
there may actually have been); if yes, can you assign the partition a
drive letter by <Rt-Click>ing and following the prompts?

Guv Bob
2014-07-31 04:30:40 UTC
Post by Java Jive
Problems with USB drives become more hit and miss the further back in
Windows OSs you go, and before around 2k/XP the sort of symptoms you
describe could definitely occur - I had to return one that didn't
seem to be picked up by W2k.
1) I presume it actually does have a disk in it? Or is that
something you didn't realise that you have to buy extra?
2) Has the disk been formatted? <Rt-Click> My Computer and
choose Manage. What do you see in Disk Management? If the disk is
there, can you see a partition on it? If no, create an NTFS partition
and format it (note: of course this will erase any previous contents
there may actually have been); if yes, can you assign the partition a
drive letter by <Rt-Click>ing and following the prompts?
Yes, it has a disk -- complete External drive.

Disk Management does not show Buffalo - only shows the other drives.

Windows Explorer does not show Buffalo drive.

Device Manager show Buffalo under Std Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller > USB 2.0 Root Hub > USB Mass Storage Device > Buffalo. Clicking on Buffalo, it says "working properly" and driver shown as c:/WINNT/system32/DRIVERS/disk.sys.
Guv Bob
2014-08-04 02:51:43 UTC
Post by Java Jive
[...]

===

Following is for any other poor sap who might have this same problem. The summary is that it was mostly luck and trying one thing after another until something worked. Was a big waste of time trying to find out how to un-mark an "active" partition. Tons of searching and microsoft tips were all dead ends.

Problem solved by trial and error. I got a quick answer from Buffalo, but it was that this drive could not be used with Win2000. So I returned it and bought a WD 1TB internal drive. I opted to keep the existing cable and got a SATA to PATA backplane adapter that fit on the hard drive - $18 but much easier than the alternates.

Tried booting with the four Win2000 boot disks and never could get past the last menu. Repair & restore options didn't work fo rme. Also kept coming up with "corrupted files".

Ended up getting access via an old Norton Windows 95 emergency disk. I couldn't really do anything with them, but it did get enough access to see that all the c: drive files were still there. End of day 2.

Next day, I removed the jumper on the old c: drive to make it a slave, restarted, hit DELETE to BIOS settings, and set the new drive to Master and old one to slave. My plan was to install Win2000 on the new drive and then copy all the files from the old c: drive.

Then, surprise surprise, It came up to the bootstrap menu. I selected Safe mode and checked everything out. Looking at Disk Mgmt again, I could see that Win2000 in the old c: drive was running the system, and that the 2nd "active" mark had been removed.

Once I was convinced all was OK, I rebooted and it started up normally.

Good for another 12,000 miles.

Next project is to installed Windows 7 so I can dual boot and starting getting up to speed. I have heard mixed comments about Win 8 and 8.1, and just good things about 7, so I'll stick with that one next.
sctvguy1
2014-08-04 18:30:30 UTC
Post by Guv Bob
Next project is to installed Windows 7 so I can dual boot and starting
getting up to speed. I have heard mixed comments about Win 8 and 8.1,
and just good things about 7, so I'll stick with that one next.
If W2000 works for you, I would totally avoid Win7, or 8, or 8.1. The
latter are really made for tablets.
The last Windows I used was 2000 Professional, now have moved on to
linux, but W2000 was the last good Windows.
Guv Bob
2014-08-06 03:25:26 UTC
Post by sctvguy1
Post by Guv Bob
Next project is to installed Windows 7 so I can dual boot and starting
getting up to speed. I have heard mixed comments about Win 8 and 8.1,
and just good things about 7, so I'll stick with that one next.
If W2000 works for you, I would totally avoid Win7, or 8, or 8.1. The
latter are really made for tablets.
The last Windows I used was 2000 Professional, now have moved on to
linux, but W2000 was the last good Windows.
Thanks for that info, sctvguy1. Other than this, which was my fault, I have no problems with Win2000. Never had a virus or any serious problems, knock on wood. Always wonder why anyone would switch from a stable application or OS and move to the "latest greatest" version.

Every "up"grade I have regretted one way or another. For example, I have an old version of AutoCAD that worked just fine on 98SE but not on 2000. I did what I needed. Could not find any help with the newsgroups ("Why don't you get a new version?"....).