Dual Boot - W2k pro won't start.
dogwoodx
2007-06-28 00:33:12 UTC
Hi

I started with a perfectly functional W2k Pro setup.
I installed XP pro on a separate drive.
W2k won't start.
The error message is as follows:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\winnt\system32\config\system

Note: I backed up W2k using Norton Ghost prior to installing XP. However, my
guess is that I'll lock out XP if I reinstall W2k from the Ghost image.
Bottom line. I don't know how to get around this one. Any help would be
appreciated.
Frankenburger
2007-06-30 17:33:46 UTC
Post by dogwoodx
Hi
I started with a perfectly functional W2k Pro setup.
I installed XP pro on a separate drive.
W2k won't start.
\winnt\system32\config\system
Note: I backed up W2k using Norton Ghost prior to installing XP. However, my
guess is that I'll lock out XP if I reinstall W2k from the Ghost image.
Bottom line. I don't know how to get around this one. Any help would be
appreciated.
Google for Windows 2000 forum, you might find something more active than
this.

Spookstick
Oldtech
2007-07-26 18:55:47 UTC
Post by dogwoodx
Hi
I started with a perfectly functional W2k Pro setup.
I installed XP pro on a separate drive.
W2k won't start.
\winnt\system32\config\system
Note: I backed up W2k using Norton Ghost prior to installing XP. However, my
guess is that I'll lock out XP if I reinstall W2k from the Ghost image.
Yep. as it copied the original MBR track, also!
Post by dogwoodx
Bottom line. I don't know how to get around this one. Any help would be
appreciated.
Have you seen what your MBR looks like? Did you switch drives around?

You see, "C:" has the MBR so you might need to update it to show the
second booting system.
Oldtech
2007-07-28 15:00:10 UTC
Post by dogwoodx
Hi
I started with a perfectly functional W2k Pro setup.
I installed XP pro on a separate drive.
W2k won't start.
\winnt\system32\config\system
Note: I backed up W2k using Norton Ghost prior to installing XP. However, my
guess is that I'll lock out XP if I reinstall W2k from the Ghost image.
Bottom line. I don't know how to get around this one. Any help would be
appreciated.
You can try this:
http://www.inspirated.com/wordpress/2007/04/29/windows-95-98-2000-and-xp-simultaneously-running-virtualized-on-linux/