Windows 2000 doesn't see RAM
kedmond
2008-12-12 04:30:29 UTC
We have a Dell Precision 650 running WinIdows 2000 SP3.

It is unable to see more than 512 MB of RAM. It used to have 1.5 GB
of memory and I recently upgraded it to 4 GB. The machine has 4 slots
and 4 GB is the computer limit. The BIOS registered 1.5 GB and then
the 4 GB upgrade. However, with either configuration, Windows 2000
only sees 512 MB of memory.

What do I need to do to rectify this situation? Thanks.

-kedmond
Julie Warden
2009-04-15 01:19:23 UTC
Post by kedmond
We have a Dell Precision 650 running WinIdows 2000 SP3.
It is unable to see more than 512 MB of RAM. It used to have 1.5 GB
of memory and I recently upgraded it to 4 GB. The machine has 4 slots
and 4 GB is the computer limit. The BIOS registered 1.5 GB and then
the 4 GB upgrade. However, with either configuration, Windows 2000
only sees 512 MB of memory.
What do I need to do to rectify this situation? Thanks.
-kedmond
If you're still there, odds are you have a bad memory stick. Try
installing the sticks one at a time and see that each reads good. You
may want to clean the fingers with an eraser to ensure a good
connection - be sure to wipe them with a lint free cloth before
install though.

You know the O/S sees more than 512M (I have 667 M in mine), so there
must be something wrong with either the sticks or the M/B

Julie