Using 1TB Drive with Win2000
Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney
2015-10-11 15:48:14 UTC
First, just so you know.... I realize this is an old PC and OS. It's used in an industrial application, not for normal use. The software can't be transferred to another system for various non-software reasons I won't go into it. Anyway.....

I installed a 1TB slave drive and started using it for backup. I know I should partitioned it or something else to be able to use all the space, but had to backup data right away before I could research and see how to do it.

Anyway, now My Computer shows total size 127GB and 2GB available.

My question is.... what can I do to access the rest of that drive? Or is backing it up to another drive and reformatting the quickest way?

Thanks in advance.
Java Jive
2015-10-11 17:42:03 UTC
On Sun, 11 Oct 2015 08:48:14 -0700, "Snuffy \"Hub Cap\" McKinney"
Post by Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney
I installed a 1TB slave drive and started using it for backup. I know I should partitioned it or something else to be able to use all the space, but had to backup data right away before I could research and see how to do it.
What you needed to do is create the following registry key:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\atapi\Parameters]
"EnableBigLba"=dword:00000001
Post by Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney
Anyway, now My Computer shows total size 127GB and 2GB available.
Yes, 127GB is the limit without the above key.
Post by Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney
My question is.... what can I do to access the rest of that drive? Or is backing it up to another drive and reformatting the quickest way?
Safest is to:
1) Backup data elsewhere
2) Verify backup by comparing with the original
3) Create above registry key and reboot.

You should then be able to repartition the drive to use its full
extent, and then restore the data.
Java Jive
2015-10-11 18:00:27 UTC
Post by Java Jive
On Sun, 11 Oct 2015 08:48:14 -0700, "Snuffy \"Hub Cap\" McKinney"
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Parameters]
Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney
Thanks, but I'm pretty much a low life beginner when it comes to the registry. What if I back it up and then reformat the drive? Will that give me an option to set up some petitions?
Java Jive
2015-10-12 06:15:21 UTC
On Sun, 11 Oct 2015 16:25:38 -0700, "Snuffy \"Hub Cap\" McKinney"
Post by Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney
Thanks, but I'm pretty much a low life beginner when it comes to the registry.
What if I back it up and then reformat the drive?
Will that give me an option to set up some petitions?
Petitions? Are you using voice recognition software, if so, somewhat
risky when seeking help?!

Until you create the registry key above, you will only be able to use
the first 127GB of the disk, as you have already discovered.

So do it like this ...
1) As above, backup current data.
2) As above, verify backup.
3) Copy and paste into Notepad the lines below (between the
equals signs but not including them, and be sure to mend any unwanted
linewrap that your newsreader may insert - there should be only four
lines in all: a header line, then a blank line, then two settings
lines, the first of which is enclosed in square brackets and is quite
long, so is the one that might wrap), and save them somewhere
convenient as a file called, say ...
EnableBigLBA.reg
... then find this file in Explorer and <double-click> it to 'merge',
as the jargon has it, the new setting into the registry, confirming at
the prompt which is thrown up.
4) As above, reboot.
5) As above, repartition to use entire disk space as desired.
6) Restore data